Phillips 66 Instrument Engineer - Los Angeles Refinery in Los Angeles, California
Phillips 66 & YOU- Together we can fuel the future
The Instrument Engineer , under the direction of the Instrument and Controls Engineering Superintendent, is a cross-functional leader and advocate for best practices in the selection, implementation, and maintenance of the instrument asset base to ensure that regulatory, production, and optimization objectives are met at LAR. The instrument asset base includes all process measurement, SIS and regulatory process control analyzers and instruments.
Responsibilities may include :
- Serving as lead for asset base troubleshooting, including technical support for the Maintenance, Operations, and Technical Services departments to improve the quality of maintenance repairs, daily operations, engineered modifications, and new equipment installations by resolving questions and issues through familiarity with industry, regulatory, and corporate standards.
- Creating strategies for the development, implementation, monitoring, and coordination of instrument reliability improvement efforts, including preventative maintenance programs.
- Supporting the Instrument Mechanical Integrity and Safety Lifecycle programs.
- Supporting Process Hazards Analysis (PHA) / Layer of Protection Analysis (LOPA) efforts.
- Reviewing, executing and maintaining SIL verification calculations for SIS.
- Providing Maintenance and Technical Services with guidance and direction regarding safety, reliability, and maintainability for instrument selection in accordance with the site approved manufacturers list (AML).
- Adopting and sharing instrument and shutdown system “best practices” through internal and external networking.
- Participating in meetings with corporate network teams, including the Field Instrument Network (FIN), SPI (SmartPlant INTOOLS) and the Process Analyzer Network.
- Maintaining SPI and SAP documentation systems and associated evergreen processes for instrument asset database across the site.
- Providing mentoring, guidance and direction for maintenance instrument craftsman as well as training for operations, craftsman and engineers to improve skillsets as it pertains to the instrument asset base.
- Assisting in the implementation and monitoring of key reliability performance indicators, including bad actor reduction, event code metric analysis, predictive/preventative maintenance plans, SIS quarterly metrics and other associated metrics.
- Developing and reviewing the instrumentation asset base work scope for maintenance turnarounds with Maintenance and Operations departments, including performing instrument design calculations and obtaining approved vendor quotes.
- Participating in maintenance turnarounds, including tracking work scope execution and shutdown testing.
- Identifying and developing capital projects work scope as it pertains to the instrument asset base for safety, reliability and maintainability.
- Leading capital/expense projects and designing, reviewing, and approving project deliverables as it pertains to the instrument asset base in accordance with industry best practice, regulatory and corporate standards.
- Initiating, reviewing, and approving MOC’s (Management of Change) and PSSR’s (Pre-Startup Safety Review) as it pertains to the instrument asset base.
- Performing periodic audits and inspections of instrument shutdown systems and associated documentation.
- Legally authorized to work in the job posting country
- Bachelor’s degree in Chemical, Electrical or Mechanical Engineering
- 5 or more years hydrocarbon refining engineering experience, with emphasis on instrumentation
- Advanced level of proficiency in Microsoft Office Excel, Word and PowerPoint
- 1 or more years of experience with PHA/LOPA
- Working knowledge ISA 84 (IEC 61511)
- Able to respond to off-hours support requests, including weekends and/or holidays for turnarounds and/or operational upsets
- Intermediate level of proficiency in performing design calculations and creating specifications for a variety of instruments that include, but is not limited to, orifice plates, control valves, thermowells, d/p level measurement, etc.
- Intermediate level of proficiency with SIL Solver and performing SIL calculations
- Intermediate level of proficiency with SPI (SmartPlant INTOOLS) and SAP
- ISA EC50 Certified
- Strong written and verbal communications skills
At Phillips 66, while "what" we do may be very different from person to person, there's a "how" that connects all of us. It is how we work, how we collaborate and how we succeed together. It's this shared "how" that our competency framework describes in detail. We call it the Keys to Success because it can unlock the potential within us all.
Keys to Success
- Prof: Adaptability—Demonstrate Adaptability And Learning
- Prof: Building Collaborative Relationships—Build Partnerships
- Prof: Communication—Communicate Professionally
- Prof: Judgment—Exercise Professional Judgment
- Prof: Results Orientation—Optimize Results
Phillips 66 is a diversified energy manufacturing and logistics company. With a portfolio of Midstream, Chemicals, Refining, and Marketing and Specialties businesses, the company processes, transports, stores and markets fuels and products globally. Phillips 66 Partners, the company's master limited partnership, is integral to the portfolio. Headquartered in Houston, the company has 14,500 employees committed to safety and operating excellence. Phillips 66 had $52 billion of assets as of March 31, 2018. For more information, visit www.phillips66.com at http://www.phillips66.com/ or follow us on Twitter @Phillips66Co .
To be Considered for this Position :
In order to be considered for this position you must complete the entire application process, which includes answering all prescreening questions and providing your eSignature on or before the requisition closing date of January 24, 2019 .
Candidates for regular U.S. positions must be a U.S. citizen or national, or an alien admitted as permanent resident, refugee, asylee or temporary resident under 8 U.S.C. 1160(a) or 1255(a)(1). Individuals with temporary visas such as E, F-1, H-1, H-2, L, B, J, or TN or who need sponsorship for work authorization now or in the future, are not eligible for hire.
This Employer is subject to the Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance (FCIHO) (LAMC 189.00). This Employer will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the Ordinance.
Phillips 66 is an EEO and Affirmative Action Employer of Females/Minorities/Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
Requisition ID: 49004
Department: Los Angeles Refinery
Location: United States - California - Los Angeles
Job Field: Engineering